Former Oxford Blue Trevor Brewer Dies Aged 87



Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
The 1955 Wales team, including Trevor Brewer

Trevor Brewer, who made his Wales international rugby debut while still a teenage undergraduate at Jesus College, has died at the age of 87.

The former Newport High School, Newport, Oxford University and London Welsh wing, helped Wales get their 1950 Grand Slam campaign off to a flying start with an 11-3 victory over England at Twickenham. He came into the side when the captain, Bleddyn Williams pulled out and the first reserve, Russell Burn, also failed a fitness test. He played periodically for the Dark Blues in the build-up to the 1949 Varsity Match, but had to wait until 1951 to finally win his Blue. He was overlooked in 1949 and injured in 1950.
Wales marched on to their first Grand Slam since 1911 after his debut, but Brewer was forced to kick his heels for five years before getting another shot at the auld enemy in 1955. Once again he finished on the winning side, thanks to an Arthur Edwards penalty that secured a 3-0 win at Cardiff Arms Park. He retained his place in an unchanged Welsh side that marched on to Edinburgh to meet Scotland, but despite scoring two tries in a 14-8 defeat at Murrayfield he was dropped for the next game. Those three senior Welsh caps added to seven he won for the Welsh Secondary Schools between 1946-48.

One of the quickest players of his era, he won the Welsh Schools 220 yards title in 1947 and was second in the 100 yards. From Newport HS he went up to Oxford University, where he studied chemistry at Jesus College. He missed the 1950 Varsity match through injury, but scored a try in the 13-0 win over Cambridge at Twickenham in 1951.

He played alongside England international Brian Boobyer at centre for the Dark Blues against the touring Springboks in 1951 and played for South Eastern Counties against the 1953 All Blacks. He also played for the Army, Combined Services, Hampshire and London Welsh, whom he captained in the 1956-57 season.

He joined ICI after completing his National Service, working as a production services manager, and worked for a while in Northern Ireland before returning to live in Henley.

Scroll to Top
Our Cookies
We use cookie technology to analyse traffic and ensure that you get the best possible experience on our website. To continue browsing our website, you must agree to our Cookie Policy.